Lindsay Brin is a co-founder of MommyCoach and is a pre/post-natal fitness expert, international author, and DVD fitness professional. She has starred in and choreographed 43 fitness DVDs designed for moms, based on her research with Major Universities. Brin’s programs are used to certify other fitness professionals.
Ok, so we don’t all have time for working out 5-6 days a week and eating clean everyday. And you don’t have to! Let’s find your perfect recipe for success.
1) You need to find your motivation. Is it to help your confidence? To keep up with your kids? To improve your mood? To be healthy? To fit into your skinny jeans – not necessarily the tapered jeans but those skinny ones hanging in the back of your closet that you have been saving for years until you fit in them again?
2) Maximize your time. As a mom I know you are all about multi-tasking and maximizing your time. Think of an interval workout as just that, you get in your cardio and toning in 30 minutes or less and burn the same amount of calories as you would in 60 minutes on a treadmill. ACSM recommends short-intense bouts of exercise since they provide more results.
3) Workout whenever you will workout. Your metabolism does not care about the time of day, it will burn the same amount of calories. To read more about fueling your body for a 5am workout or what you should eat post-exercise go here http://blog.mommycoach.com/whats-the-best-time-to-workout/
*And know that it does not hurt to workout during your downfall!
We all have a time of day we tend to go off the deep end, not really the deep end, but a deep never-ending box of something. Don’t do it. Instead schedule your workout during this time.
**I think we all know it is necessary to workout to lose weight. Your muscles will only bounce back if you use them!
4) Is it your fault? Be brave enough to admit excuses hamper you. Sure that is easy to say because I do this stuff for a living, but that doesn’t mean I don’t give excuses at least twice a week! Usually it is “Harper woke me up 3x last night so 5am is not gonna work” or “I have been working the last 12 hours and my brain shut off”. But I am also speaking about the thousands of clients I have trained from single mom of 5 to the mom of 6 who came to every-single-solitary 5am workout. So no more excuses, they just get in the way.
5) Clean up your environment. This does not mean leave your refrigerator with raw almonds and soy milk. It means add a bowl of fruit to your table, surround yourself with positive influences, get your partner on the same Game Plan.
6) Make a deposit in other areas. You do not have to workout everyday. I usually recommend 5 days when in weight loss mode and 4 days when in weight maintenance mode. So on the days you are not working out, make a deposit into your husband and kick back with a movie or conversation. It will help balance your life.
7) You are not meant to do this on your own! You have 20 jobs already! So grab a professional who paves the way for you! Or a workout partner and get to it.
The perfect recipe for weight loss is what works for each individual mom. For you this might mean a meal plan, 5am partner workouts, exciting workouts, just getting through the first 3 weeks to create a new habit of a healthier you. This is what makes coaches great – moms that can cater to your every need.
Have a question for Lindsay? Book a one-on-one session with her now.